Original lithograph printed on cream wove paper.
'The shop is at the top of St. James's Street, London, and Hoopers have been in it since 1896. It is an older building than that, but Hoopers put in the big glass windows and a huge lift to take the cars and coaches to the upper floor'.
This lithograph is one of twenty-four different designs Ravilious completed for the series ‘High Street’. The lithographs were drawn by the artist and printed at the Curwen Press and then published by Country Life Ltd. in 1938.
Ravilious began work on his ‘High Street’ lithographs in 1935 following a suggestion from Helen Binyon that he do an alphabet of shops. He deliberately sought out odd shops with special and often Victorian visual appeal as inspiration for these prints. The New Statesman wrote that the designs were ‘so gay and vivid…that they surprise the reader like the shops themselves when they light up on a foggy morning’.