Clifford Webb was born in London, after service in the First World War during which he was wounded, he studied at Westminster School of Art. Webb later taught there, and at Birmingham School of Art and St Martinís School of Art, London. In the mid-1920s he was associated with the Artistís Craftsmanís Group and Modern Group and was a founder member of the Society of Wood Engravings. He was prominent amongst the group of artists who brought about a revival of wood engraving in 1920s. Between1937 and 1954 he illustrated eight books for the Golden Cockerel Press. He made many independent prints of landscape and animal subjects, for which there was a popular market at the time. Despite modest subject matter, which can appear bland, his achievements as an engraver were the complete reinvention of the theme in terms of the engraverís repertoire. At his best, he treads the divide between pure abstraction and a full-bloodied response to nature with sinuous skill.